Bulli Coal Mine Disaster
These photos of Mackey (Macky) grave sites and the Bulli mine disaster
monument and memorial plaque were kindly provided by Sandra Wood in
Australia around February of 2008. As usual, the spelling of "Macky"
is variable, sometimes seen as Mackey, Mackie, etc.
The headstone reads
to the Memory of
Aged 18 Years
Aged 14 Years
Beloved Sons of
JOHN & AGNES MACKIE
|Grave of William and Agnes Mackie
and James King
|Broken headstone of John and
||"The scene at the Pit..."
John and Thomas Mackey were among the 81 men and boys killed in the
Bulli colliery disaster
of 1887. The plaque shown above reads:
The nearby Scottish granite monument
was erected by the NSW Government in 1888 in memory of the 81 men and
boys killed in the Bulli disaster of 1887.
The plaque was erected by the Black Diamond District Heritage Committee
with assistance from the Joint Coal Board, BHP Steel Collieries Division,
Wollongong City Council, Caines Concrete and the Southern District Miners
Women's Auxiliary on March 23, 1997.
The victims, including 17 boys, were killed as a result of an
explosion at the Bulli Colliery on March 23, 1887 at 2:30pm.
The bodies of those killed are buried in the adjacent Saint Augustine's
Anglican grave yard, Corrimal Catholic Cemetery and the Presbyterian
burial ground at Woonona.
The men left behind 150 orphans and 50 widows.
A memorial service is held at the monument on March 23 of each year.
Major advancements in technology and safety have taken place in the
mining industry since the Bulli disaster; the mines of the Southern
District are working to ensure such disasters do not occur again.